Thursday, April 14, 2016

White Bass and a Dirt Hole


I couldn't resist taking pictures of the fried bass fillets that we made from fish caught by our neighbor.  For the first time that I can remember, we made battered fish and managed to cook it perfectly crispy.  

Our good neighbor is always giving us food that he either grew or hunted. He's given us deer meat, jerky, corn on the cob, bell peppers, home made wine, and eggs. This is the first fish that he's given us, and it was so delicious that we were ready to learn to fish so we could have some more!  The package the frozen fish was in said it was white bass. We dipped it in egg and rolled it in a fish batter mix made by Wisenberger Mill, which is a family operated Kentucky grain mill that's been around for ever, and fried it in the iron skillet in coconut oil.  


I also put some sweet potatoes and bell peppers with onions, broccoli, and mushrooms in the oven to bake.  I could barely get a picture before Brandon was grabbing it for his plate. 


Hungry yet? 


I was hungry after working to dig up top soil for the garden from the dirt hole swimming pool location.  I hate it when I give myself math problems, but to occupy my mind and give my digging muscles a break I did some rough calculations, which are probably completely wrong (I even used pi!), and figured out that in order to have the dirt hole ready for the pool by the first of June, I need to move six wheel barrels of dirt a day, every day until then.  Whoa.  


Brandon likes to remind me that if I would select a level spot for the pool, then we could put it up any time.  So I remind him that if I did that, then the pool would be in the wrong place! Duh.  


So maybe the pool won't be ready by the first of June (this year), but the top soil I'm getting for the garden is looking pretty good, especially since the chickens are helping out by smoothing out the clumps.  How's this for a math problem -  How many friends want to go swimming equals X number of beers plus how many shovels?  Ha!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...