Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Ugly Duckling

 
I decided to turn the baby chicken into a baby duck.  Just kidding!  Her toes were curled under and she was walking on turned under toes.  So, based on some internet research, I used band aides and splinted her toes in the right position.  I think it's helping, but it makes her look like the ugly duckling! 
 
I'm not sure what went wrong with the incubation, but I'm not going to get any more chicks out of this batch.  Since it was so long past the due date and I couldn't hear any peeping from the other eggs, I poked holes in the shells to see what was going on inside.  Two of the five remaining eggs were just eggs, with no development.  One of them looked like it started to develop by didn't finish, and the other two looked like mostly developed chicks, but they weren't alive.  It's so disappointing.  It makes me hesitant to try this again, even though I would like to learn how.  I may have an issue with humidity, which could have caused the toe problems with the ugly duckling too.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...