Monday, February 11, 2013

Add a Dash of Rubber

 
These are called jelly ears.  They are mushrooms that grow on wood, and my mushroom hunting friend tells me they are edible, just not super tasty.  Mostly a texture additive I think, and really, who doesn't love a little bit of rubber texture in their food.  These things are all over sticks around my parents place, so we were hoping they would be something good.  Jackpot!  We have rubbery texture in abundance!

 

 
Apparently they have some health benefits.  Wikipedia says they have anti tumor and cholesterol lowering properties and that they are found in Chinese dishes, like hot and sour soup.  We didn't try to eat one, but maybe we should give it a try.  I would like to not have tumors or high cholesterol.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...