Saturday, March 16, 2013

Treasure in a Tree


Jamie and I were working in field and came across this hollow tree.  The tree is still alive, but the entire inside of the trunk is hollow and it has many irregularly shaped holes.  It evoked an irresistible desire to crawl inside the tree.  It's not often that you get to be inside a live tree like this as an adult.  Speaking from experience, most hollow trees are not of adult proportions and you can't get in no matter how hard you try.  


I was forcing Jamie to pose for a photo, when he found a pill bottle inside the tree with a note in it that said Dying Bridge, geocaching.com.  I didn't recognize it, I looked it up on my phone and after a brief read we figured out it is a world wide treasure hunt that people play.  Apparently participants hide an object with a paper in it, and when you find one you sign it and log on to the website to report your find. 


The instructions said to sign the paper and you could take the treasure inside, if there was one, as long as you left a treasure of equal value.  This one didn't have a treasure, but I had been carrying a bunch of feathers in my clip board that we found and believe were from a northern flicker.  The feathers have bright neon yellow shafts, and are yellow with deep black markings.  We put a feather in the bottle so the next person can have a treasure.  I went to the website and was going to report our find when I got bogged down in sign in and realized we didn't take a gps location, so there wasn't going to be a way to locate the cache on the website anyway.  Regardless, it was fun to find a hidden treasure in a really awesome hollow tree. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...