Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Who's Who?


Before we got our second donkey, Hattie, I wondered if I would be able to tell the two donkeys apart once they were all grown up.  It's not a problem.  Brandon is with Rufus in the picture above. 


This is Hattie.   I can tell them apart even when they aren't standing side by side.  Hattie has straight hair and bangs. 


This is Rufus.  Rufus has curly hair and bangs.  Rufus is saying, with his ears, "Give me those treats, lady! Do not give them to my sister!" 


Shaggy Hattie is on the left, wavy Rufus is on the right. 


 Also, Rufus, in the back, is a darker color overall.  When Rufus gets wet, even the hair on his back is curly, so his back stripe is wavy.  Hattie's fur is thick and straight.  Her winter coat looks fuzzy, like she's full of static electricity. 


The donkeys are due for a hoof trimming, so I spent a little extra time with them this week getting them used to being touched again.  It doesn't take many sunflower seeds before they are eating out of my hands and letting me rub their legs and feet.  But if I go for days and days only giving them attention over the fence, because it's cold and dark and we have no time to play, they get really skittish and jumpy, even with me.  I've been told that mini donkeys can be taught to pull a cart.  I can't imagine my donkeys ever keeping their cool enough to pull a cart. Of course, they don't get out much, these donkeys of mine.   

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...