Monday, February 26, 2018

Mud Season

 

It rained, and it rained, and then it rained some more.  The roads flooded, the earth turned to mud, and poor Wendigo got her hair wet. 
 

I've heard farmers talk about mud season before, but it wasn't until we moved to this clay soil that I really understood the challenges.  As bad as it is when it's so cold the ground freezes, at least during the freeze the mud doesn't suck you down.  Just look at the ground outside our front door!  Even the stones Brandon planted for a walkway are covered in water and mud.  


This weekend, Brandon was so tired of having to change out of his muck boots once he reached his truck, just so his work shoes weren't coated in mud, that he made a trip to town for a load of concrete paving stones.  He really wanted to pave a path with natural stone that we find here at the farm, but the progress was slow, and our feet are getting dirty now.  


In a short time, he had plopped about forty of these pavers into the mud on our pathway, creating stepping stones so we can get to the car or gravel driveway without coating our shoes in mud.  There's something else that's different about our place in the photo too.  Can you see what it is?  


I moved the old dairy sink that we've had by the hydrant.  It was our only sink for years while we worked on the house renovations.  I moved it near the greenhouse, since so much of my work is centered in that area these days.  With the sink gone, and the new paving stones in place, our yard will look even better, especially once the mud dries up and the green grass reclaims it.  


During all that mud making rain, I continued to work in the greenhouse.  In addition to the baby greens that are coming up in the spokes of my wheel, I planted a row of peas, swiss chard, and brussel sprouts with basil.  The greenhouse has a drip line on each side, where the plastic pieces come together.  I've noticed that the soil stays moist most of the time where the rainwater or condensation falls in this line.  I planted the peas in one of the drip lines and the brussel sprouts and basil in the other.  I've never grown brussel sprouts before, and I'm not sure they will do well in the greenhouse, but I'm excited to try them.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...