Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Eggs to Clouds


The chickens are making up for their winter break, and giving us plenty of eggs.  Thankfully, Brandon is now able to eat eggs without upsetting any of his organs, so the chickens are getting lots of love these days.  Especially now that we are following a mostly ketogenic diet, that has us cutting carbs and embracing fats.  An egg has nearly five grams of fat, but less than a gram of carbohydrates.  


We like to eat eggs in lots of ways, but my newest egg adventure is making cloud bread.  There are lots of folks with cloud bread recipes on the interweb, but I've been using three eggs, a tablespoon of cream cheese, and a teaspoon of cream of tartar.  


I love any recipe that lets me separate egg whites from the yolks.  The whites get whipped with the cream of tartar until they are stiff. 


The cream cheese gets blended with the yolks. 


The yolk mixture gets stirred into the stiff egg whites, and then baked at three hundred degrees four thirty minutes on parchment paper.  Super easy.  


They look like golden meringues, or flat biscuits. 


The texture is a bit eggy, but fluffy enough with all those little air bubbles to make you think you have something bready.  At least it seems bready if you haven't had a real slice of bread in months! 


We like to use them as hamburger buns, or with eggs and salmon for breakfast.  The are so light that I can eat a whole batch without even noticing! 


I even tried adding a few squirts of stevia extract, some vanilla, and a big dash of cinnamon.  I sprinkled raisins and cinnamon on them before I baked them, and they turned out to be pretty good.  Like a cinnamon and raisin meringue biscuit.  A tiny little drizzle of honey makes them perfect.  

2 comments:

Joseph fields said...

I am 100% on the duck egg train. Our muscovies are getting broody and building nest. Muscovies don't lay year around. I think regular ducks are obnoxious, but my love of duck eggs mightovercome my hatred for them. I may pick up some Indian runners or another laying duck breed

rain said...

Duck eggs are bigger, right? Is that why you like them? Or do they taste different too?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...