Friday, March 8, 2013

Rack of Rabbit Ribs?


I've been kicking around the idea of raising meat rabbits.  I keep reading about how they are a good live stock choice for people without land to graze larger animals.  Rabbits are supposed to be easy to raise and don't need much space.  And since they reproduce like rabbits, you get a lot of meals for your investment.  I'm only half serious about it, but just in case I ever decide to actually do it, I have begun a half hearted campaign for rabbits.  It took me nearly five years to get Brandon on board for back yard chickens, so I figure I should start promoting rabbits now, just in case.  His main argument against rabbits is that I won't be able to kill them, and he says he definitely is not going to kill bunnies, and then we will have a family of pet rabbits.  It's a legitimate concern.    

But do we even like to eat rabbit?  It's a fair question.  Since they don't sell rabbit at the meat counter at our Kroger, I needed a rabbit meat connection.  It wasn't long before I out that a friend's father was a rabbit eater, and he was able hook me up with some home raised rabbit for $7, butchered.  I was put on a waiting list.  Who knew rabbit meat was in such demand? 


So last night we had rabbit that I cooked in the crock pot for dinner.  I put chopped onions and garlic in the bottom of the crock pot with some home brewed barley wine and put the seasoned rabbit pieces on top.


Jamie joined us for dinner.  As you can see, rabbit drumsticks are quite a bit smaller than chicken drumsticks! 


Rack of Rabbit Ribs, anyone?!  The ribs were so small that we had a lot of laughs imagining serving rack of rabbit ribs as the main course.  It's hard times for sure if that's all you get for dinner.  They were very tasty, but I gave them to Jamie on a saucer as an appetizer since there were so many tiny bones that I didn't want to serve them with the food. 

The rabbit cooking experiment was a success.  Before serving I tried to pick all the bones from the pieces of meat, which was a bit of trouble, and I still managed to miss a few.  Other than the bones, we all enjoyed the food.  We tasted each of the different cuts and liked them all.  One rabbit was enough for three people for dinner, plus we had some left overs for tonight's dinner.  I predict that rabbit will be on the menu more often in the future.   

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...