Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Ducky Update on a Snow Day


Ducky, the ugly duckling chicken that I hatched from the incubator, is now one month old!  As you can see from the picture of Ducky snuggling with her sock buddy, above, she has feathers all over now.  Her neck is still a bit fuzzy and scraggly, but overall she's fully feathered and much more chicken-like.  If you look back at a picture of of her first few days, here, you can really appreciate how fast she is growing. 


I still refer to her as "she" hoping to encourage her to be female, so mom can have another laying hen for her small flock.  I don't even want to mention what might happen to her if she's a rooster because it makes my mouth water (joking, sort of).  Some people may be able to tell if she really is a girl or not, but I can't tell yet.  She is dark with a light spot on her head, which matches the description of a male barred rock cross, but her father is the cuckoo moran breed, so I'm not sure I can use that as an indicator. 


Just when my spring fever is getting acute, we get one of our few snows of the winter.  I'm not complaining though.  If we can't have spring then at least we can have some real winter weather - snow!


The snow didn't stop the girls from doing their duty, and I collected eggs from the nest box this morning. 


Good hens get a treat!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...