Sunday, August 23, 2020

Joe-Pye Weed

Look how big and pretty the Joy-pye weed is!  It was just transplanted from a friends house last fall, and already the ones that were planted in the corner of the zip line field are taller than me.  One of the best things about this pretty native plant is that the goats don't like it that much.  They take a nibble here and there, but so far they haven't chowed down on it.  

Did you know that Joe-pye (Eutrochium fistulosum) is a member of the sunflower family?  

It has a reputation as a feast for pollinators.  I've seen wild ones with blossoms covered in dozens of butterflies.  Hopefully in time, the butterflies will find these plants too.  


The plants near the goat fence, which are marked by some red tomato cages to keep Brandon and his mower away, are doing okay, but they didn't grow as tall as those planted in the most soil by the zip line.  

The native sunflowers in the weed patch wildflower garden in the backyard are starting to bloom.  It won't be long before the New England Aster is blooming too.  Despite the dry gravel filled soil in this location, the Joe-pye that was planted here is doing all right. I empty the hot hose water onto them before I fill the animal water buckets.  I'm hoping that if I water them this year, they will get deep enough roots to live in this poor soil without my attention in the future. Like most natives, I think they are hardy plants.   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking greatL! I’m so glad they’re doing well. They really are a favorite of mine.
-Tamara

Anonymous said...

I have heard that the introduction of Joe Pye Weed into Europe from the Americas in the 1600s was responsible for the popularity of that color among the courts of Europe at that time.

I should have thought of the goat proofing, as deer also have a distinct distaste for Joe Pye Weed. I forgot all about that!.

-Tamara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...