Monday, July 8, 2013

Garlic vs. Kittens


I couldn't decide if I should write a post with adorable child/kitten photos, or lovely garlic photos.  There's no denying the cuteness apeal of young mammals, but what about the pungent beauty of garlic bulbs crusted with rich garden soil?   I just can't decide.


The kittens, which now live with my nieces, have been named.  The black one above is Butterfly.  She looks just like a butterfly, doesn't she? 



The garlic probably has a name too, but I can't remember what it was.  These are the bulbs that grew in mom's garden, which we laid out on a small table to dry before they will be braided.  We've had so much rain though, that mom eventually brought them in the house to dry.  They hang from her ceiling like an earthy chandelier. 


The little calico kitten is named Baby.  Baby is supposed to enjoy being wrapped in a blanket, you know, like a baby, but she's kind of squirmy and hard for little arms to hold on to. 



Garlic is one the most satisfying plants to grow.  We planted the bulbs in the fall, and the green shoots came up right through the snow.  It really gives me feeling like the garden is under way, even if I haven't done anything in the garden all winter. 



The little boy kitten, that was born without a tail, has been named Philip.  Philip is the prince who rescues sleeping beauty from the horrible witch who turns into a dragon.  This is a lot for a young kitten to live up to. 



I knew my garlic was ready to be picked because the leaves started to turn brown and fall over.  The first time I grew garlic I waited longer, until the leaves were dead, but when I dug up the bulbs many of them had bug holes and were getting rotten.  Now I know to get them out of the ground earlier. 


Now I have a heap of garlic on my porch too, just waiting for me to clean up and braid. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...