Friday, April 12, 2013

Carrot Head Does Vegetable Math


Does my face look orange?  Since drinking vegetable juice, I have noticed my skin looks different.  I think it looks better, and a few people have told me that my color looked better.  I have been working outside, but to me, it looks like my skin isn't just tan, but slightly... carrot-ish.  But maybe I'm seeing things. 


I remember when my nephew was a toddler, he was eating jars of yellow squash or carrot babyfood and he began to have a slightly orange tint, which the doctor wasn't worried about.  So, I was prepared for this to happen.  It is possible to tint your skin by eating carrots, or drinking carrot juice; it's called carotenodermia, and it's from the excess beta carotene.  My understanding is that getting lots of beta carotene is why juicing carrots is good for you.  It helps block free radicals and prevent cancer.  If I'm not imagining the carrot hue, and it starts to get worse or weird looking I can cut back on the carrots and it will go away.  At least that's what I've read. 


I've been told that I have enough fruit stacking up around the house to open a farm stand.  I did some quick math to estimate how much fruit and vegetables I have juiced and consumed in the past twenty-five days:

50 pounds of carrots
38 pounds of celery
25 pounds of greens (spinach, chard, or parsley)
100 apples
50 oranges
3 cantelopes
1 watermelon (small)
2 ginger roots (2 lbs)
1 fennel
4 grapefruits

This list doesn't include all the vegetable I've been eating, just the ones I've been drinking.  I feel great, so I'm willing to go a few shades oranger before I cut back. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...