Friday, April 26, 2013

Grass Juice


Drinking a shot of wheat grass juice was sort of like taking a shot of tequila for the first time - I just tried to shoot it quickly and then I really understand the concept of a chaser.  Blah!  The difference being that instead of getting drunk I got a shudder and a weird taste in the back of my mouth that lasted throughout the day.  It's a complicated flavor.  At first it tasted sweet and lemony, then really green, followed by a unique aftertaste as I exhaled that is probably one of those flavors that I could learn to like, but this first time I didn't consider it to be good.  I thought it was some potent tasting stuff, and I enjoy parsley juice, which I'm pretty sure would curl the toes of the uninitiated vegetable juice drinker. 


I've been curious about wheat grass for a long time.  Many times I've stopped to consider it as it sits next to the bananas at the co-op and wonder who buys grass for $3.75.  Well, now I know it's wierdy juice people, like me!  I thought it was expensive, since the bunch only yields an ounce, and that's after you let it grow for a while.  But, considering bar prices are at least $3.75 for a shot of booze, and my wheat grass should grow back for another shot, it may be a bargain.  If I can stomach it.  I googled the health benefits of wheat grass juice and the claims of the good it can do are amazing, almost over the top.  It's supposed to have so many vitamins, minerals, enzymes, amino acids, etc. that the inter-webbers talk about it like it's a miracle food.  There are even recommendations to soak your skin in the juice for wounds and athletes feet.  It's said that it can remove heavy metals from your blood, prevent cancer, Alzheimer's, bad breath, high blood pressure, and you name it, wheat grass is good for it.  So, yeah, I'll try it. 


I cut the grass with scissors into a bowl of water to wash it before I put it in the juicer.  While I was swishing it around I was reminded of the swimming pool after the grass is freshly mowed.  What if, from now on, skimming grass out of the pool makes me thirsty for chlorophyll? 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...