Monday, October 12, 2020

Sassafras Red

 

I roamed the little farm in the drizzle yesterday admiring the color of the tree leaves.  I think the predictions of brilliant fall foliage are coming true!  

The paw paw trees near the fire pit have never been so yellow.  


They make a nice backdrop when we sit by the fire and face time with Brandon's mom.  

The most beautiful tree is the red sassafras that grows in the eastern tree line.  Normally this little tree blends in with it's neighbors, but right now it is a vibrant red.


I had fun composing photos with the red tree in the background, even though the weather has been drizzly.  I hope we get a sunny day before the leaves fall. 


The asters in the wildflower garden are finally blooming.  They were covered in buds this year, but were taking so long to open I was worried I wouldn't get to see them open before the frost.  


These are New England aster, which is supposed to be purple.  In my old butterfly garden I had mostly purple ones and a single white one.  Somehow when I transplanted flowers to the farm I ended up with only the white.  The white flowers look very beautiful in a snowy cluster.   


The sassafras tree is so pretty this fall that it makes me want to plant one closer to the house.  I noticed a few seedlings growing near this one - I just have to decide where to move them to.  Maybe near the yellow paw paw.  The red and yellow side by side would be very nice.  


Up close I can see that the leaves aren't really red at all, but are dusky orange and green.  


There are bees feasting on the asters and on the hyacinth bean vine growing in the garden.  I noticed they have dense collections of pollen on their legs.  I'm glad to know there are plenty of foods for the bees, even in October.  

The chickens are still laying plenty of eggs too.  It's not winter yet!  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...