Wednesday, July 17, 2019

All These Beans


I love to plant a garden in the spring and tend and admire the garden as it grows, but I want to nurture my love of garden harvest so I will actually go out there in the heat and face the itchy weeds, insects, and sunburn and pick the food!  It's pretty easy with foods that go straight to my mouth, like tomatoes and berries.  But with green foods, like beans, that require picking, stringing, breaking, and cooking or preserving I have to talk myself into the task.  Come on Rain, get out there and pick those beans!  


Saturday was the day I psyched myself up for a bean harvest.  The sweet potato vines look so pretty.  I hope they make a sweet potato. 


Look - a tomato!  


I thought for sure the cucumber vine wasn't going to fruit, but I think I just overlooked these three cukes hidden behind the beans.  They were whoppers!  


Sunflowers from when I would spread bird seed in the winter garden so the chickens would scratch up the weeds.  The bees are loving the flowers. 


Not a bad garden haul, huh?  The onions in the bag in the foreground are from those I harvested and dried in the greenhouse. 


I used some deer tenderloin given to us by our good neighbor, from a deer harvested near our house, plus the onions and green beans from the garden, and chicken stock from our own birds, and made a soup in the instant pot.   Those onions are potent!  My eyes were leaking like crazy as I peeled the onions.  The soup was delicious, which is good encouragement for using more beans.  


Sunday found me out at the wall of green bean plants, again, to harvest the last of the beans from the sunny side of the trellis.  I put three giant bags of green beans in the refrigerator, but I need to string and break them, and figure out how to preserve them.  Maybe I'll just eat them!  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...