Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Freezer Eggs


We are getting a lot of eggs these days.  From my sixteen hens, we get a dozen eggs a day! 


The chickens are loose to roam during the day, and I feed them organic chicken feed and table scraps.   A forty pound bag of organic chicken pellets costs nearly twenty-five dollars, and lasts about a week, which means I've got at least three dollars and fifty cents invested in each dozen, just in chicken food.  


Brandon and I routinely eat three eggs each, for breakfast.  Plus, we cook with a few eggs every day and boil eggs for snacks.  Even with gifting eggs to friends on occasion, we have a surplus.  I've been encourage to sell my extras, but I would prefer to find a way to preserve the glut now, so that when the chickens take their annual winter break, we don't have to do without.  


I just started freezing the extra eggs.  I crack them into a bowl, mix them up, and pour them into a quart size freezer bag, and place them in the freezer.  My plan is to lay the bags flat, so they can stack easily in the freezer, like I do with chicken stock. 


I read that eggs frozen this way will last for a year.  I hope they will be tasty enough for our breakfast scrambles.  If I can manage to put a few bags of eggs in the freezer every week this spring, we may be able to have eggs all winter long!  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...