Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Beam of Light Tour


Take a tour with me.  An exclusive after hours farm yard tour, where farm yard residence are illuminated by my headlamp as they settle for the night.  The guineas have decided to take up residence in the big coop.  I make sure all three are accounted for before I lock their door, and they whistle and coo at me when I blind them with my beam of light.  Do their horns keep growing as they age?  


After making sure my stubborn red hen isn't roosting in the rafters of my crib, I peek in on the goats.  The baby goat is nestled with her mother and Dark River, while Papa stands nearby.  Everyone seems content to chew their cud until breakfast. 


The donkeys aren't in their stall, so I sweep my beam across the pasture until I see the green reflection from their eyes.  


Hattie comes to the fence for a goodnight nose kiss, although she would prefer a snack! She's getting a reputation as pushy. 


The mobile chicken coop has reflectors, so my beam of light makes it shine white and red as I approach.  


I untie the twine that holds the coop door open during the day and look inside to make sure all is well.  The nest box has eggs, but I forgot to bring the basket.  Doh!  The chickens protest with sleepy sounds as the beam crosses them before I bolt the door.  


Brandon left the tractor up on blocks in the driveway while he waits for the new wheel to be delivered.  It's a large dark shape in an unexpected place, but I'm not scared.  Wendigo is there to protect me!  


The lights have been left on in the workshop, and thin slivers of light shine through the cracks in the walls and around the door.  As I approach the door to flip the light switch, the motion sensor detects me, and a bright light shines from above.  


The light makes Wendigo glow in the darkness.  I've carried her dog food from the can in the barn, and she can't figure out why I'm wasting time taking photos of tractors and barn doors when it's dinner time!  


She's especially hungry because she's on a diet.  It's hard to know if she's too fat because of all that hair, but I read that I should be able to feel her ribs under her skin if I press a little.  Ha!  I couldn't feel her ribs when I pressed hard.  All I can feel is a thick layer of padding.  Having extra padding under dense fur is probably okay during the winter, but this summer she might not like having extra insulation.  After a week of reduced rations I can almost detect some ribs in there.  

3 comments:

Joseph said...

Pretty cool. He have 6 new lambs, and 9 ducks hatch out. Had t ocancel the farmers market this weekend due the 29 degree weather this Saturday .
I was just telling someone the other day how I used to go camping in March. Now you need a Arctic bag in April.

Anonymous said...

Rain -your photos are so cool! Love the cracks of light from inside the workshop. - Dan

rain said...

Thanks, Dan. I'm glad to know someone is enjoying my photos.

I know, Joseph - I can't believe it's going to be so cold this weekend. Your poor little lamb and duck babies are going to have some cold nights to get through. I already took down all my electric water buckets and now I'm dealing with frozen water again - in April! Crazy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...