Thursday, March 22, 2018

First Bite of Spring


Yesterday, on the first day of spring, I picked six lettuce leaves from the baby lettuce patch in the green house, and ate them.  Straight from the plant to my mouth.  They were tender, but bitter. 


I wonder, could I eat at least a bite of something from the garden everyday from now until next spring?  Would that be a fun challenge?  I'm off to a pretty good start.  I could eat a baby radish now, if I wanted to.  


It will be a few days before the swiss chard is ready to give me a bite, but once it starts to really grow, these plants will make more bites than we can eat!


If I could figure out how to eat a pea shoot, then there's more than a bite growing here already. 


These little plants, mostly lettuce and radish, with some kale, were transplanted from the dense clusters that came up where I planted the seeds.  They are doing well, but might not be growing as fast as the plants that didn't get moved.  Once they recover from the transplant shock, they will be glad to have more room to grow.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...