Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Spring Garden Fever


Can you see our little farm house hidden in the fog?  I stopped my car in the road, on my way to work one early morning, so I could take this picture.  I'm up early in the mornings these days, taking care of my collection of animals and gardens before I head to town to earn my living.  


I keep taking photos of tiny green sprouts because I'm so excited to see them, but when I view them on my computer they hardly seem worthy of sharing.  But, if you too, get excited by earthworms and pea shoots, maybe you can understand my enthusiasm.  My garden is growing! 


I don't think visitors to my greenhouse can see the genius in my garden design.  Actually, some of my visitors may think that the way I use my greenhouse is ridiculous.  I think they think that because they say it!  I was asked, "Why isn't it in a pattern, with rows and walkways?"  What?!  Of course it is in a pattern, with rows and walkways!  It's not a grid pattern, with all straight rows and walkways, but it's not random.  It's organic, and designed around me!  The walkways are in the places I walk, and the plants are in the places I don't walk.  


Within the places I don't walk, are rows of tiny plants, in a pattern.  


We just had a big snow, but before the snowfall, my parents and I made a lot of progress with the garden.  We filled salad boxes with potting soil, and planted two types of tomato seeds.  They are on the ground in the greenhouse, with plastic tented over them.  I worry about their germination because the nights are cold and they aren't heated.


Last years tomato cages were taken down, cleaned up, and neatly stacked so we can use them again this year.  


Old stalks and weeds were pulled from the soft earth and stacked near the compost pile.   


The remainder of an old round hay bale was hauled to the garden, and a large area was covered with rotten hay.  The chickens have been busy spreading this mulch. 


I even spent some time pulling dead plants from the herb spiral and perennial flower beds in the back yard.  We were just getting the yard spring cleaning fever when the snow came and covered everything with inches of pretty white.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...