Thursday, April 4, 2019

3 Weeks


The little ones are three weeks old now.  Oh my gosh, are they cute!  They jump and play and chase, then take cuddly naps together.  They are also starting to figure out how to get into places they shouldn't.  This morning I had to chase them down to get them from the boy goat side of the pasture, only to realize they can slip through the gate at will, and I needn't have exposed myself to Little Bucks attentions on their behalf, after all.  


I have enough goats now that it's hard to get the whole herd in one photo!  


The boy is bigger than the girl, and looks strong and muscled.  He also has tiny horns peaking through his hair.  Sigh.  I wanted to avoid the trauma of taking them to the vet to be cauterized, since it didn't even work last time, and ordered the hot iron so we could traumatize ourselves.  The iron has been on back order, and I didn't get it on time.  Looks like I'll have more goats with horns after all.  


Sleepy babies in the sun. 


Peaches seems to be handling two babies just fine.  She gets impatient with them when they run up and take a sip and then start to play.  She kicks her back legs and walks away from them when she doesn't want them to nurse. They never seem to have their feelings hurt.  They bang their heads, hard, into her udder when they nurse, so I'm surprised she's as patient as she is. 


The girl has a delicate jaw line, and fabulous ears. 


They are already nibbling on grass and hay, and are so tall they kneel when they nurse so they can fit under the udder.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...