Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Peaches, Plums, and a Beet

 

Look - baby peaches!  This poor little peach tree only has two branches, but it's got more than a handful of little peaches growing on it.  The first time I saw them, I did a double take.  I never really expected to get actual peaches from my peach trees.  Unfortunately, the tree also has a fugal infection which is causing the leaves to turn red and curl.  I'm not sure if the tree will be able to pull off a full sized peach, but we'll see.  


These strange little green globes are plums!  I've never seen a plum in it's natural habitat, so I was excited when they appeared.  I assume they will be purple when they are ripe.  Let's hope I get to eat one before the chickens and goats get them all.  

The cherry tree, which only got three cherries last year, has dozens of little yellow cherries on it.  The apple tree too.  But, the pear tree, which has always been so generous with it's fruit, timed it's bloom poorly this year, and now I only see a smattering of pears when normally there would be hundreds.  


Brandon made the first hay of the season.  He mowed the field next to the donkeys, and then the next day he raked the cut grass onto a tarp and stored it in the barn, out of the rain.  It smells so nice, and is such a pretty green color.  Since the forecast calls for rain nearly everyday, we're experimenting with drying the hay under roof.  I'm hoping to keep up our hand baling through the entire growing season this year, and see how many bales we can make.  


You probably can't see the changes I've made to the greenhouse, but I moved the piece of plastic to the back corner to kill the veg, and planted tomatoes where the plastic used to be.  It does a wonderful job of killing all the weeds, and leaves nice worm filled soil to plant in.


The consensuses is that these volunteers are cabbage, not kale.  Which is weird, because I didn't grow cabbage last year.  Were did they come from?


A friend of mine is moving, so he gave me these cute yellow tomato cages.  I've learned from experience that this type of cage is rarely big enough or strong enough to support a giant plant, but I'm doing it anyway.  At the end of the summer, when this spot is a tangle of fallen over plants, I'll remind myself, again, to use sturdier supports.  


I think they will work well for the three pea plants to escaped the chickens wrath.  The peas growing in the greenhouse are twice as big as those growing in the garden.


Beets have pretty stems and leaves.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...