Friday, September 18, 2015

Goldenrod, Moby Dick, and Grandfather's Whiskers


It really feels like autumn is on it's way now that the nights are cool, and the goldenrod is putting on a brilliant show.  Enjoying the wildflowers is the advantage of being so busy readying the house that we failed to keep the vegetation tamed.  All those weeds that have been bothering us when we tried to access the corn crib have transformed themselves into flowers!  


I wish you could hear them.  The bees are buzzing and the crickets are chirping.  I was getting sensory overload when I invaded the stands of yellow to peek in on the big silver bowl buried in the blooms.  


When looked at with the right attitude, the jumble of brambles and tall grasses becomes a wondrous floral arrangement.   A giant arrangement with the perfect barn-wood backdrop!  All spontaneous and free of charge.  


With my trusty pruning shears,  I was able to snip a path free of briers, and give the natural arrangement a more intentional and friendly appearance.  


The view from inside the corn crib is a spectacular sea of yellow.  It's nearly blindingly bright in the setting sunlight.  


In the right light, even our new, but old,  trailer, which has a rustic patina, looks neat against the background of barns and goldenrod meadows.  


Do you remember the spinach garden we worked so hard to plant this spring?  Well, this is what happens if you plant a garden and then do zero maintenance.  That tall vegetation behind Puck is the garden!  It's as tall as me, and absolutely alive with wild plants, insects, moles, mice, voles, snakes, birds, and even deer.  Taming this jungle is going to be a challenge.  I love a challenge.


There she blows!- there she blows! A hump like a snow-hill! It is Moby Dick!  Er... I mean, there's the propane tank.  I struggle to see beauty in the propane tank, but this is the first year we've allowed the goldenrod to thrive around it.  


The side with the goldenrod looks much more lovely. 


And the honeybees don't seem to mind the propane tank at all.  


Look who popped up by the root cellar.  I've never seen a flower like this before.  It looks alien with it's dangling pods and long stamens.  


A friend of mine recognized it immediately as rose Cleome.  It's also called spider flower, grandfathers whiskers, or spider legs.   


With four strange petals and lots of dangling stamens, I can see why it brings spiders to mind.  Although I've never seen pretty pink spiders before.  I hope to save some seeds from this plant and grow more of these.  I like plants that don't require much work, and this plant grew here all by its self.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...