Thursday, January 15, 2015

Flower Pot Bread After a Juice Fast


As I mentioned, the first week of my juice fast wasn't as easy as week two has been.  To reward myself for an entire week of nothing but wholesome vegetable juice, last weekend I ate half of a flower pot full of bread!  Yes, this is a thing, a very tasty thing.  I received this flower pot and bread mix as a Christmas gift from my sister-in-laws parents, and no gift was ever more appreciated after a week with no gluten-ey goodness.  The flower pot bread comes from Patti's 1880's Settlement, which is one of the most unique dining experiences a person can have in western Kentucky.  It's not an experience that's solely about the food, although that's what I did when I visited.  Patti's has miniature golf, gift shops, Christmas lights, and elaborate landscaping.  They do weddings!  It even has a petting zoo, of sorts, since there are live bunnies and turkeys on display.   The waitresses wear long ugly floral print dresses, and the entire interior is literally filled with artificial flowers arranged in elaborate themes combined with found objects.  The drinks are served in mason jars, and the bread is baked in flower pots.  Quite frankly, it's a weird place, but it's the only place I've ever been where they proudly serve pork chops that are two inches thick and pie with meringue twelve inches tall.  I recommend that anyone in the area eat there at least once, just so you can experience it.   My coworkers and I always eat there if we are working in that area.  


The instructions said to grease the pot, and put a small piece of foil in the bottom over the hole.  I had to grease the pot several times, since the oil would soak into the clay.  


I mixed up the batter according to the instructions, and poured it in my flower pot and baked it in the oven on top of a cookie sheet.  


Unfortunately I was so excited by the thought of getting to eat bread that when it was finished I didn't take the time to make sure my photo wasn't blurry.  Just imagine you are starving when you look at the photo above, and maybe it will be the most beautiful thing you've seen in a long time too, despite the fact that I didn't anticipate how the bread would rise which made it stick to the top of the oven marring it's lovely flower pot perfection.  


I promise, when they present the flower pot of bread to you at Patti's, it won't be the mangled half cooked mess that my bread became!  I think maybe my flower pot isn't seasoned enough to prevent sticking, and the dough was so dense it left a little mushy bit in the center.  We didn't mind, though.  It tasted like a giant buttery biscuit.  Mmmm...biscuits... I just drooled on my keypad, so I think that means it's time for some beet juice.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...