Wednesday, January 30, 2019

More About My Beautiful Birds


I'm exercising my blog muscles, and making a point to take photos every day of something interesting that I can tell us about.  I see my beautiful flock of birds and tell myself that I've exhausted chickens as a subject matter.  But I can't resist!  I write about what tickles my mind, I guess, and after all these years I've still got chickens for brains.    


This is my entire flock - my old birds in the laying flock, two guinea fowl, plus the young meat and layer birds.  It's a lot of birds!  Beautiful birds.  I've never had so many at one time before, and I happily admire them every day. 


All of my old birds molted last fall, and now they have fresh fluffy feathers and no bald spots from the rough handling of roosters.  Its fun to have so many different colors, and I especially like having pretty white birds mixed in the flock.  I worry that the white birds will be targeted by the hawk because they stand out from a distance.  We've been lucky not to lose any birds lately, despite the predators.  We spied a raccoon in our little forest recently.  We regularly see a fox on the road not far from home.  The coyotes sing to us nearly every night and Wendigo responds with a monotonous barking song of her own.   


I have two young spare roosters that were hatched here, in addition to gentle Cogburn the head rooster.  This one, with his red color and fluffy beard, looks like an Easter egger, like his father.  I bet he hatched from a green egg.


But this little rooster looks like an Easter egger on the top, and a barred rock on the bottom.  He must have come from a brown barred rock egg.  If all my roosters are descendants from an Easter egger father, does that mean it's likely that their offspring will lay blue or green eggs?  


This is how many eggs I found in the nest.  I have more than forty birds, and I only get two eggs!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...