Friday, January 19, 2018

Walks in the Snow


We have been enjoying long walks in the snow.  I even got to miss a few days of work due to icy roads.  It's one of my favorite things about living so far away from town.  No one salts or scrapes our road, so I'm stuck at home with all my animals for days at a time.  Some folks start feeling trapped or cut off, but as long as we have plenty of provisions, I don't mind at all!  Brandon thinks we should invest in a four wheel drive vehicle.  It's smart, but I love snow days!  


I think the hay I piled against the house foundation, plus the snow, must block the cold breeze under the house, because our water never froze up during this last cold spell.  Unfortunately, this meant I had no excuse to not washing dishes or laundry.


Wendigo is in her element when there is now on the ground.  She lounges in the snow, chewing sticks and playing games.  She blends in well, too.  On our walks we could see coyote tracks in the snow.  Wendigos paw prints are much larger than coyote prints.  She never seems upset when the coyote's sing at night.  I hope they have an understanding about boundaries.


The sky looks turquoise when the ground is white.


Puck, you have a few flakes on your face.


We explored our narrow strip of forest too.  The tiny stream was flowing, and familiar stumps and bramble piles looked strange with their snow caps.  The dogs found lots of sniffs to enjoy, but we had to keep moving so our toes didn't freeze.  


It's going to warm up today, and the snow will be gone soon.  This could be the last snow of the year.  It was a good one.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...