Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Goodnight, Dodos.


Is everyone enjoying this heat wave?  I think it was nearly forty-five degrees today!  After days that dipped to single digit temperatures, it felt practically balmy.  We climbed above freezing temperatures on Sunday, and our waterline thawed out just in time for us to butcher the fourteen monster sized meat chickens.  We guesstimated that each bird weighed about ten pounds.  


My morning chores seem so much easier now that I don't have to chisel ice from the meat chickens water bowl, or line their coop with fresh hay.  I sort of miss their funny dodo honks and grunts, but I'm glad to stop feeding their voracious appetites.  The birds had plenty of fat on their organs, so I think I was feeding them plenty.  


We will enjoy chicken dinners for months to come thanks to those silly birds. 


The meat chickens were twelve weeks old, and grew to twice the size of normal roaster chicken from the grocery store.  I'm not sure we will try raising that kind of chicken again though, especially in the winter with our current set up.  They never got to eat any grass or bugs because they weren't the kind of chicken that would roam around and help themselves.  They were so defenseless I couldn't let them have free range, even if they would have wandered more than a few feet from their food bowls.  Of course, they made a lot of meat in a short time, and weren't that hard to take care of.  


Goodnight, dodos.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...