Thursday, October 26, 2017

Home from Tybee Island


Do you remember the last time you saw the sun rise from the ocean?  Can you still hear the sound of the waves crashing on the shore, and smell the early morning ocean breeze, and see the flocks of pelicans passing overhead?  I can, even though it's been several days since I've been home from our family camping trip to Tybee Island in Georgia. 


We all converged on the campground last Wednesday, and stayed through Sunday exploring beaches, shops, and all the beauty of southern coastal towns.  I rode with my parents and my aunt (look at us, back in 1979!) and we towed my parents camper all the way there. 


If the moon's gravity creates the tides, and the tide sculpts pools and ripples in the sand, does that make these moon sculptures? 


We swam in the pool, rode bicycles, built sand castles, collected sea shells, fished, boogie boarded, cooked, ate, and drank plenty of tasty beverages.  We watched a movie, The Great Outdoors, from our beach chairs in the campground pavilion, and we laughed so hard we were nearly disturbers of the campground peace!  We even went on dolphin boat tours and rented kayaks and paddled to an island right on the border of the open ocean and the river delta. 


Despite the wind that constantly tried to blow us off course, my niece and I managed to paddle ourselves to the island and back again.  A whole pod of dolphins rose from the water to check us out, including a baby dolphin!  We saw them very close, right next to our kayak.  That's when I truly realized, there are things living in this water!  Big things, with snouts and fins and teeth!  I've seen dolphins and whales from boats before, but this is the first time I've felt like I was in the water with them.  It's a little scary, but so exciting!

If you want to see some of our vacation photos, click play below.   
  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...