Thursday, January 30, 2014

Look! An Egg!


I got an egg this morning!  This is the first egg I've found in the nest box since Helen and Mrs. Hall started molting at the beginning of the winter.  Does this mean spring is almost here?  I've been checking the nest box for the past few days because lately Mrs. Hall, the friendliest of the two, greets me in the morning by squatting in front of me as I'm trying to walk to their breakfast area.  I tell myself that she wants to be petted, and I give her a few pats and some chicken baby talk, but I know it's really just the posture a hen takes for the rooster when she's ready to mate.  It's a little weird, I know, but at least she likes me, right?  She hasn't been, um... "in the mood" all winter while her feathers have been growing in, so I knew to start looking for eggs when she started getting friendly again.  The egg was so cold that when I brought it in the house to admire with Brandon little droplets of moisture started to condense all over it. I'm thankful it wasn't frozen and cracked.  I hope this is the first of many.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...