Thursday, May 10, 2018

A Salamander and a Smoothie


As I walked up a recently restored stream channel, I noticed this bright red salamander on the rocks at my feet.  It was in a dry part of the stream, so it was dehydrated and barely moving.  I carried it to a shallow pool and splashed it with stream water and it started to squirm. 


At the time, I assumed it was a northern red salamander (Pseudotriton ruber), which I've seen before.  I've been doing some reading and looking closely at the photos, and I think it might be a midland mud salamander (Pseudotriton montanus).  I've never seen one of those before!  It's always exciting to find a new-to-me species.  Does it look like fish bait to you?  


Puddles and small vernal pools in the floodplain had thousands of tadpoles.  Spring is an exciting time for amphibians.  


I fell off the diet wagon this week.  Not only did I over do the drinks and snacks at a party, but then Brandon was out of town, and I was on the go, so I skipped grocery shopping and making real meals.  After a long day of field work, I realized that my only nutrition came from the coffee I had for breakfast, potato chips and a melted snicker bar I ate in desperation while driving, and a chicken finger basket from a small town Dairy Queen which plagued my digestion for hours.  I hadn't eaten anything green for two days, so it was no wonder I didn't feel like cooking.  Time to raid the greenhouse garden for some greens!


With a blender full of lettuce, pea shoots, and kale leaves, a splash of water, plus some frozen blueberries, a handful of strawberries, the juice from a lemon, and an avocado, I made an entire pitcher of green smoothie.  No cooking required!  No chewing either!  


When Brandon arrived home late at night, I handed him a big glass of health and he made faces while he swallowed it down.  A green smoothie without a sweet banana is a powerful taste. We are steering ourselves back onto the right track now.  Having all those greens just waiting to be picked makes it easier.     

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So relieved it wasn't a salamander smoothie!

-Tamara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...