Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Greens House


I hope to transform our plastic hoop house into a greens house this fall - full of edible greens!  I've used the hoop house in the late winter and early spring to start seeds and to grow heaps of lettuce, but I have yet to try growing greens in the fall with the hope of keeping them alive through the winter, but that is my plan. 


By the first of June, the greenhouse was getting away from me.  The weeds were taking over the pathways, and the heat did not encourage upkeep.  By August, the weeds were neck high and I gave up any thought of salvaging the tomatoes and brussel sprouts.  I would open the door, face the thick wall of green plants that were swarming with insects in the hot and humid dome, and quietly close the door and walk away.  A few weeks ago, I asked Brandon to cut everything down with the weed eater.  A clean slate for the fall garden!


He cut everything down to the ground except this small clump of zinnias and green beans, in the back corner. 


We saved these plants so I can save the seeds. 


The green bean managed to find it's way through the side of the greenhouse and climbed all the way to the top!  It bloomed early, out-competed all those weeds, and is loaded with beans, so I've decided to save it's seeds for next year. 


I still have some work to do before I plant the fall garden.  I rolled out this black weed suppression fabric with the thought that I could make a permanent path into the greenhouse, but I've nearly changed my mind.  Instead of using it for a pathway, I think I will cover the ground close the side plastic, where it's very hard to weed and is cramped for plants anyway.  Between the black fabric and piles of old hay and compost, I hope to suppress the weeds.  Now I just have to find the time to work on this.  I spent about twenty minutes in the greenhouse during the daylight hours and thought I would pass out from the heat!  I may have to garden in the twilight only.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...