Monday, March 25, 2013

Panda Cows and Eagle Chickens



Doesn't this cow look like a panda bear?  I think this is a very pretty cow, and I wish it would let me give it a hug since I've always wanted to hug a real panda bear and this may be as close as I ever get.  Joe gave us a tour at his family farm this weekend so we could see the new calves that have been born this season.


What's even cuter than a panda cow?  A panda calf!  These two babies where near the fence but when I walked over to get a close look the mama cows came bellowing and running to rescue their babies from the scary strangers.  They made the babies run away from us before I could get some good pictures.  I blame Brandon's beard.  



Fortunately, we were able to drive right up to some other calves and mammas and as long as we stayed in the truck they didn't run away.  Probably because Brandon's window was tinted and they couldn't see his beard.  






Joe explained to us the breeding strategy that they are using to introduce the white faces into his nearly all black herd.  Managing the breeding schedule and the herd traits is quite complicated. 


On a farm like this, one of the traits that is important to breed for is good mothers.  Mothers that have an easy time giving birth and that willingly nurse their calves and have enough milk to grow strong calves.  I could tell these cows were taking motherhood seriously. 


We also stopped in to check out our joint chicken venture.  These guys are growing fast!  They look like full sized chickens to me, and the first feeble crows have been heard from some of the roosters.  I have plans to take some hens to mom soon, and we have a tentative rooster butchering date set for the second week in May.


Check out the crazy colors on the Easter egger roosters.  The look like some exotic bird of prey.  Unfortunately the hens are all variations of brown instead of the striking color patterns of the roosters which won't get to hang around to decorate the lawn. 

1 comment:

becky (city dweller) said...

I want a panda cow, you need to get one when your farm is up and running so I can come see it:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...