Thursday, March 14, 2013

No Chickens Allowed!


I've been freezing working outside the past few days and can't believe it was just a few days ago when I was outside planting seeds in the garden.  As you can see in the photo above, one of the raised beds was cleaned up, planted with lettuce and spinach, chicken proofed with some chicken wire, and then posted with a visual aid for Helen and Mrs. Hall to let them know that this is a No Chicken zone. It had to be an image on the sign, you see, because I'm pretty sure they can't read. 

I don't mind their help when working up the soil.  I'm not sure that eating all the earthworms is the best thing for the garden, but I'm willing to sacrifice some worms in exchange for eggs.  I think that's an awesome conversion of protein, really.  But once the seeds are in the ground they need to stop the scratching.  I used to restrict them to the chicken tractor during the spring months, and move the tractor every day to fresh grass.  Lately, I've just been making chicken wire fortresses around each thing I don't want them to mess up so that they can roam free.  I realize that I'm now hostage to the desires of two chickens.  They rule the roost.  Ha!   

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...