Monday, January 22, 2018

Urban Adventures

 

While Brandon and I were in Louisville this weekend, I snapped a few pictures of the urban landscape, and Brandon said to me, "I think you might need to get off the farm more often." Ha! 


It's true though, especially after a few weeks of real winter weather that kept me home tending the hearth and livestock.  I may have taken city streets and gallery openings for granted before I settled in at the farm, but now the contrast makes it all the more exciting.  Just having city plans for two days in a row seemed like such an adventure!  


On Friday evening we attended a gallery opening with friends, and ate at a swanky restaurant that required a reservation.  The tables were set with nice china and flowers, and a man played the piano while we discussed art and architecture.  I had two cocktails.  I felt very civilized.  


As if that wasn't exciting enough, on Saturday night we met Byron and Shanna in downtown Louisville again, for kebabs and hummus before attending an Avett Brothers concert at the Palace Theater.  
 

The theater was beautifully ornate, with sconces, columns, and plush carpets. 


All the opulence of the theater may have gone straight to my head if I wasn't humbled by the image on the beer Byron selected for me.  Oh dear!


Our seats were in the balcony, and the band sounded fantastic in this space. 


Of course, the fans were so enthusiastic that they punctuated every song with screams and hoots, but the energy of the crowd was contagious.  The entire audience stood and danced with the band, for over two hours.  The couple standing directly in front of us was so excited to be there, that we were sure they were going to make a baby before the music ended, and we were going to be unwilling witnesses!    


The light show was blowing my mind.  I didn't feel bad taking photos during the performance because everyone else was doing it too.  Actually, the number of people who were on their phone during this musical experience was noticeable.  The girl next to me filmed nearly the whole concert, and I think she watched the performance through her tiny screen.  I bet her blog is way better...


We rode the wave of band induced adrenaline all the way home to our little farm.  I tucked the chickens in to bed, told the donkeys the nights highlights, and commiserated with Brandon about the late hours.  We stayed up past midnight two nights in a row!  We still got it, right?  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...