Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Tiny Eggs, Big Crows


Do you ever sing that song from Sesame Street when you see one of the things that doesn't look like the other?  One of these strawberries is not like the others - because it's an egg!  A tiny egg from one of the little white chickens I had in a box in the dining room.  Can you believe they are already old enough to lay eggs?!  


The five little white hens, and three little white roosters, live at my parents house, so mom sent me the photo above when she got the first few little eggs.  I think they will eventually get larger, but right now they are extra cute.  


Mom suggested I crack the egg into a separate dish instead of straight into the bowl of scrambled eggs I was making, just in case it had "something weird" about it, since this was the hen's first one.  I'm not sure what that "something" could be, and I'm pretty sure I never want to know, but it was fun to see the tiny yolk compared to the others.  It was perfect, just small.  


I got a little carried away taking pictures of egg yolks.  


They really remind me of frog eggs when all together in a bowl.  The little one is near the top right corner.


The white hens are pretty nondescript, and don't make much of an impression as individuals.  


But I'm very impressed with the appearance of the roosters.  The contrast of the blood red comb and wattles with the brilliant white feathers is great.  The little bit of bald skin below their ears is yellowish green.   I think they are Leghorns. 


The white roosters are much smaller than mom's big rooster, on the right side of the photo, but they do not have a small crow.  Instead, they have a high pitched scream, that I'm sure can be heard at great distances.  Oh boy, do they love to crow!  The big rooster has a classic cock-a-doodle-do, which seams to get the job done just fine, so I'm not sure why the white roosters have to be so shrill.  Thank goodness they live with my parents, right?  You are welcome, Mom and Dad.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...