Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Cute Pictures of Hattie

 

I had over twenty-five hundred photos on my phone.  From what I could tell, they were mostly pictures of chickens, plus lots of garden photos that I never shared with you.  My phone was resistant to storing any more photos, so I had to clean out my files.  In the process, I found some cute pictures of our Hattie girl that I want to share with you and future Rain.  These pics from last winter show how small and adorable she was.  


Rufus may be more classically donkey handsome, but Hattie's face had character.  Silly, like a Sesame Street character!  


I think the donkeys are cutest when they have full winter coats - like shaggy hay monsters. 


Hattie's eyes didn't leak much in the winter, and there were no flies to irritate her.  We enjoyed the cool months and did our best with the hot ones. 


Rufus is wary and shy, but Hattie was an extrovert, and loved treats so much she would be brave when she needed to.  She even let the farrier trim her hooves without a fuss.  


 

Hattie's voice was scratchy and higher pitched than Rufus, but she wasn't afraid to use her voice.  She brayed for food and attention. 


Her scruffy look was emphasized when part of her face was shaved for the surgery that removed the tumor the first time. 


I've reached out to some donkey breeders and put the word out that I'm looking for a friend for Rufus.  Rufus seems to be okay without his companion for now.  Yesterday flies were irritating him and he rolled and rolled in a dusty spot and laid on his side in the dirt and flipped his tail back and forth in the dust so that it would fling dirt all over his belly and underparts.  He created a cloud of dust in the air and seemed happy to lie in the dirt and let the sun bake his dusty hair.  He's sleek right now, with hardly a clump of shaggy winter fur.  He shed it all just in time to grow it back!  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...