Monday, May 6, 2019

Naps, and Greens with Eggs


I caught Brandon and Wendigo taking a nap in the grass.  They share the ability to catch a nap just about anywhere.  Sometimes I forget how big Wendigo is, and then I see her with Brandon and realize that she is a huge dog!  


I'm pretty sure all my animals nap the whole time I'm at work, and then when they hear my car pull in the driveway they wake up and go into frantic for food mode.  If I didn't know better, I would think they were starving all day long and they barely made it until the evening without wasting away.  They give themselves away on the weekends, because I see them lounging in the sun and relaxing the day away instead of foraging for food.  Their stomachs are on timers, and they know when breakfast and dinner is served.  


The greenhouse greens grew beautifully, despite never being thinned.  I have dense rows of green leaves, and have been able to try cooked turnip greens, radish greens, and even mustard greens, plus lettuce salads with dill, onion, pea shoots, and radish.  


Some of the radishes split in the center, most likely from uneven watering.  The greenhouse gets so warm that the raised beds dry out easily, and then I soak them with the garden hose.  It's funny to me to water the garden while it's raining.  The beds on the side of the greenhouse get plenty of rain, but the bed in the center still needs me to water it.  


The bunching onions that Tamara shared with me have been making tasty small onions for months already.  I've been chopping them for the skillet or a salad.  Tamara, how do I save some bulbs for planting later? 


Isn't the green leaf lettuce pretty?  It's so tender it practically melts in my mouth.  Because the plants are so dense, the under leaves are pale and thin.  I've found a few snails lately, so I'm being aggressive with my harvest.  I don't want to share with the snails. 


My asparagus bed is a weedy mess, and most of the spears have grown into fronds, but I still manage to find a few to add to our garden harvest.  If I pick and prep the food, and have it ready in the refrigerator, we usually find a way to work it into our meals.  We have a health goal of eating six to eight cups of vegetables each day, so we really have to include vegetables in every meal to get it all in.  Breakfast salad is actually pretty good!  


I like to chop a bit of everything...


and cook until tender in coconut oil in an iron skillet...


then add a giant bowl of chopped greens and cook just until it wilts.  I like the turnip greens, but they have stalky stems that I have to remove or Brandon accuses me of feeding him sticks.  The mustard greens don't have the stems, and make nice flat leaves that are easy to stack and chop.  The flavor of the mustard greens if more intense, but we like it.  When I served the first batch Brandon said, "These greens have the taste of the greens I remember hating when I was a kid."  Ha! 


And of course, the final touch is to add eggs and stir until done.  If we don't make a plan for dinner, then it's likely we are having greens and eggs.  Again.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re. Onions: Let some of them grow until around the 4th of July or until their greens start browning and fall over. Then dig them up, dry them out and re-plant around Election Day in Nov. Or store and use. Bigger bulbs make bunches, smaller bulbs make big bulbs. I am sad that I bought my first bag of onions last week as we used the last of our onions stored in ropes above my kitchen. I love these guys. As you have found yourself, they make great green onions too... even mid winter!

-Tamara

rain said...

Thanks, I'll try not to eat them all so I can grow more later!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...