Monday, February 25, 2019

Brooder and Greenhouse Greens


Wendigo and I worked to clean out the chick brooder and set it up for our next shipment of babies.  This time, six of the chicks are going to live with a friend so her daughter can experience the joy of raising little fluff balls.  Another six chicks are destined for a friend once they are able to live without a heat source.  Because the hatchery will only mail chicks during the winter in a box of twenty-five, we combined our order and I filled out the rest with more of those red ranger meat birds.  We are all anxiously awaiting the email that says the chicks are on their way.  


Always before, I used a heat lamp to keep the chicks warm.  This time, I invested in an artificial hen chick warmer.  It's like a hot plate on legs, that the chicks lay under.  As the chicks get taller, I can adjust the leg height.  I plugged it in to make sure it works, and it never felt that hot to me, although I didn't have it on very long.  I'm excited to see if it works because the worst part of raising chicks is dealing with the heat lamp, which is a fire hazard and frequently blows the bulb when the chicks rattle it.  


The greenhouse is ready to be planted.  I bought some lettuce, pea, and other green plant seeds that I think will grow well in the cool spring weather. 


Does this look like a salad green called corn salad?  I've never grown it before, but I planted some seeds last fall and now there is a row of these small green plants.  I guess I'll have to eat them and see!  


Some of the red lettuce plants survived the freeze. 


And a few green lettuce plants too. 


I pulled weeds from the onion bed.  I think it's time for a lettuce, corn salad, and chive dinner!  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...